This qualification focuses on the importance of food safety in the retail environment. It will introduce you to the basic principles of Food Safety and Hygiene. It is suitable for businesses supplying both open and packaged foods.
Before starting work for the first time food handlers need to be aware of the hazards and controls associated with food in retail operations. Particular attention is paid to stock rotation, preventing contamination, temperature control and the condition of food packaging in the retail environment. The importance of good personal hygiene, cleaning, waste management and recognising and reporting signs of pests are also stressed.
On achieving this Award candidates will be equipped with the knowledge to enable them to provide safe food and will assist the business to comply with the law.Outcomes
- • Identify appropriate hygiene and food handling practices.
- • Use appropriate measures to prevent contamination of food and destroy bacteria.
- • Identify the reasons for taking appropriate measures to prevent outbreak of food illnesses.
- • Explain how effective design and maintenance of premises and equipment and pest control contribute to good standards of hygiene practices.
- • Identify the implications of current food hygiene regulations.
This qualification is assessed by a 15 question multiple choice question examination. The duration of the examination is 30 minutes. Successful learners must achieve a score of at least 10 out of 15.