Safe Moving and Handling
The level 2 award in Safe Moving and Handling meets industry requirements for moving and handling in the workplace. Manual handling injuries are the cause of most working days in the UK, with sprains and strains due to the incorrect lifting and moving of objects causing most injuries to employees
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and subsequent Regulations require that employees are provided with information and training and this general requirement should be supplemented with specific training and information on manual handling.
The Manual Handling Operations Regulations do not set any weight limits for lifting and carrying loads and amendments in 2002 clearly now require employees to have adequate or appropriate knowledge or training. The Regulations will apply to nearly all work activities from offices to care homes and factories. There will be different risks associated with different sectors and the HABC
Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling offers learning outcomes which are suitable for all.The Learner will:
- • Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- • Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- • Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- • Be able to apply safe manual handling principles
- • This qualification is assessed through a practical examination through the duration of the course by the tutor, followed by a 15 question multiple choice question examination. The duration of the examination is 30 minutes. Successful learners must achieve a score of at least 10 out of 15.